Sunday, May 20, 2007

Bees!

The swarm descends

I stepped outside this morning to admire the growing thunderhead over yonder mountains, and instead found myself in a buzzing swarm of honeybees. Apparently Scout reported back to Queen Bee that our deck would be a beautiful location for their new hive. I've never seen anything like this before, where the hive literally flew as one unit in a mass migration to a new home. I feel honored that they chose our deck, given the recent mysterious honey bee die offs that are afflicting beekeepers nationwide. Ultimately we'll probably need to call a bee relocation company, but for now I'm happy to share our deck with our new insect friends.

Our new housemates

2 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Russell said...

Okay, I know our blogs come from two completely different worlds, but I don't think I'd ever be happy that bees chose my house to nest in. Uncool. The exterminators would be there ASAP.

Mysterious bee die off? Seriously Ferg. :)

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russell...it's true!

Honey bee disappearance a mystery and problem
By Associated Press
Sunday, April 22, 2007 - Updated: 03:15 PM EST

DOVER, N.H. - It’s the mystery of the disappearing honey bees.

Florence Chamberlain’s bees are missing. So are Theresa Laney’s.

The colonies at Chamberlain’s honey farm in Nottingham have 40 percent fewer bees than before the winter. Laney, of Lee, says she’s lost half... (rest of story was archived)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home