Monday, June 14, 2010

The Two Week Wait

I don’t think I’ve quite wrapped my head around the fact OMFG in two weeks there’s going to be an new human being we’re going to take home and have to take care of and pretend like we know what the heck to do with it. Seriously, I can almost see what the weather forecast will be on my due date. We’re buying dairy product with expiration dates well past 6/27. It’s that close. I’m trying to take solace in that this *seems* like a pretty standard reaction for a first time parent, and somehow all those little babies out there stay alive and grow up to be decent human beings, so…yeah. There’s hope for us. Still, in my free time I’ve been playing in my garden and reading sci-fi novels and generally cruising along under the assumption that because we have a box of huggies in the nursery that means we’re “ready”. Then I get mini-panic attacks that I should be using this time more wisely, either by living every remaining baby-free moment to the fullest, or by scouring the internet to do last minute research on cloth diapering or infant CPR. (I really do need to do that last one). It doesn’t help though that I’ve had a really nasty chest cold for the last 2 weeks, and the second I started to recover I came down with a brand new cold. In other words, forget nesting: my motivation and energy level is about right for sitting on the couch and watching the last season of Mad Men on Netflix

So what’s new with the bump? Still having frequent Braxton-Hicks contractions but no real ones yet. At my last appt. I was 1-2 cm dilated, up very slightly from last week. They offered to do a procedure called “stripping the membranes” which separates the lower part of the amniotic sac from the uterine wall to help things along, but I declined at this point. I figured there’s no rush just yet and we’d let nature do her thing for a while longer. Beyond that, just the usual insomnia and discomfort of late stage pregnancy. It’s going to be strange to no longer have this mysterious alien in my belly thrashing all around and poking out her elbows and feet; I think I’m going to miss it. I love this pregnant belly far more than I thought I would. By now I’ve totally forgotten what my body used to look like, though I am excited to wear my normal clothes again! So on with the 2 week wait. I should really try to muster up some energy to remain a productive(ish) employee during this time.

2 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo oooo We get to be first and I bet you were not expecting to hear from us. I guess a lot has happened since the bee hive huh:P Congrats from us to you, and let us tell you, that 1st or 4th it is exciting and terrifying every time. You are prepared and should absolutely NOT doubt yourselves. This baby is so lucky!!! From here on out you WILL know bliss!! We can't wait to hear about the new babe, and we are betting on June 21 That is the day we had Elijah. I was in labor for 24 hours and I hear the summer solctice is the longest day of the year. It sure was for me. Bliss, baby, bliss!!! xoxo Ickler-Hays

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Kara said...

I can't wait to meet miss baby Ferg! I am so sad that you are sick, but hopefully you will have time to get better completely before you have to go through the marathon that is labor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home