Monday, June 27, 2005

More Tales from the Wild West

jump! jump! jump!

I've posted most of my pictures from last weekend, so if want to check them out click here and type ladotyk for the member name. The only ones missing are from our whitewater rafting trip. Hopefully I'll be able to post those when I finish the roll after our rafting trip on the American River next weekend.

So to continue our story, Friday was a lazy day for Christine, Steve, and myself. We had a picnic in Denver's City Park and had to fend off voracious squirrels by shaking scary plastic bags. They were not fooled. We played a bit of frisbee after that and Christine improved remarkably on her forehand. Then we headed over to the Denver Mint, but it was completely booked. Apparently it is so popular you need to make reservations several days in advance. Who knew? Instead we strolled down the hip streets of LoDo and stopped for a while in the Tattered Cover Bookstore, which is a Denver landmark. Later we met up with Kara's family (mom, dad, sister, and grandparents) for dinner at the White Fence Farm Restaurant. It was definitely geared for kids but the fried chicken and fixin's were out of the world.

Saturday we headed to the mountains for whitewater rafting through Brown's Canyon on the Arkansas River (Class III). This was my first time rafting and I was a little nervous. To put me at ease the guide made me the lead paddler at the front of the boat (read: wet). Luckily I got the hang of it and had a great time. It was jam packed with hundereds of other rafters but they were pretty good about keeping us spaced apart. We sailed through without incidence, however the drunked bachelor party boys having water fights with their paddles managed to flip their raft. (Can you say shrinkage?)



Sunday the five of us (me, Steve, Christine, Matt, and Mom) headed south of Denver for a day hike in the beautiful Roxborough State Park. Classic schizophrenic Colorado weather, it first rained on us and then turned very hot and humid. And then cool again. The red rocks in this area are spectacular. It was refreshing to be so close to the city yet in such a beautiful, remote place. After five years living in Colorado I still have a lot of exploring to do!


1 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Russell said...

Glad to see you finally took a day off from work. Looks like you had a great time, but based on his jump it looks like Steve-o had a little more fun.

I like the big chicken.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home