Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Episode II: Revenge of the Syrah

I'm a little delinquent in reporting, but I thought I'd share our fun evening a couple of weeks ago when we hosted a fondue and wine tasting party. There were about 13 friends who came bearing things to drink, things to melt, and things to dip. Shown here are frisbee friends Anne, Jack, Jason, Monica, Nick, and Steve.

The fondue crowd
Jay likes cheese

We had two cheese pots and an oil pot for making tempura. Jay was quite impressed that I had panko for the tempura, but then he should know that when it comes to cooking I don't mess around. Only the best, baby.

The spread

Balancing out the cholesterol was our other goal of the evening to be total posers for a wine taste test. There were 8 bottles to taste. We covered the labels and let people rank the wines based on their tannins, oakiness, long finish, hints of cherries, pepper, whiff of edam cheese, etc.

Testing the syrahs

Naturally, in a moment of intoxicated silliness I knocked a bottle all over my clothes and on the carpet (sorry no picture). Thank goodness for Resolve carpet cleaner! Anne and Steve, several glasses in, have decided that the wine is unquestionably a deep red.

Discerning palates

In the end Brian and Kara won first place for a charming syrah they bought during a recent Sideways-style wine tasting trip they took in the Santa Barbara region. Congrats, kids!

1 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger CK said...

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! I wish I could have come. Here's my absentee contribution: Pinot Grigio, Zenato d'Venezie. I just had it in a swanky restaurant in Estes and it was delicious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home